Saturday, January 10, 2009

In which the mundane of life intervenes.

Connor is such a cutie and growing so fast. He has such a personality. He waves his index finger as the signal for "no-no". Very cute. One day during Christmas break, he woke up with fluffy hair and I couldn't resist snapping a few photos at breakfast.

So, no knitting today. No woodworking, either. Jess had a late class and by the time he got home, we were into prepping the kids for bed.
I'm planning on doing my woodworking on Monday after Erin gets out of school. There are a lot of pieces to prepare since I'm planning on making three of the beasties.


All last night and today, thoughts of beautiful Swifts have run through my imagination. I have an idea for one in particular that is nearing perfection in my mind. I only hope it comes out so well.

It will have one cup finial for the adjuster piece and one for the top, which creates a pedestal for a wood carved sheep. The center dowel will be stained a light cherry color (so, pink) and so will the crosspieces. The rest of the wood will remain natural colored. All pieces will be sealed with semi-gloss sealer. The screw for adjusting height will be made from a flat watermelon agate bead and filigree bead cap.

I'm thinking something like that will more than recover the cost of supplies for all three swifts. That is my goal, anyway.

I also came across this basket, inadvertently... and decided that I must knit it someday. I would knit a tube in a basketweave stitch pattern using wool, then insert a measured and cut piece of plastic canvas before knitting the opposing sides of the tube ends together, then grafting the two edges. Knit a larger oval piece for the bottom and a smaller piece for the top (also reinforced by canvas), handles in a narrow tube as well. The lining would be muslin and of course, there would be nifty pockets and bands of elastic for holding items to the sides.
Wool would make a nice picnic basket for the insulation, don't you think? I'll have to flesh out the details later this spring. As it is, I have too many projects lined up for Easter.

Well, it is getting late and still much to do. Courtesy of youtube, here is the song I have been singing to Connor for the past few weeks, in addition to our usual choices.

No comments: