Thursday, January 8, 2009

Knitting and Coffee

Today was knitting group at Insomnia Coffee Co. in Hillsboro. Right now, it is quite the drive for us, but well worth it. The Coffee is delicious and I really like my group. I'd really like to attend the Westside Wednesday group as well, but haven't yet found a way to do it since it runs later in the evening and I'd have kidlets to figure out 'sitting for.

I continued to work on my Estonian Lace baby blanket, and I realize that I'm not sure what I was thinking yesterday when I said I'd finished 7". It must have been late, because I think it was closer to 5". I only worked through six rows during group, as I also held a baby, flipped through a book about spinning (eee!!!), sipped coffee, and chatted it up. The blanket project is pretty well suited for social knitting. Every other row is purling with the exception of four stitches on each edge. The lace pattern inbetween is very easy to memorize and I had my pattern on my knees to glance at in case I lost my place while listening to the conversation.

I was so emotional today... Linda Carter of Abundant Yarn & Dyeworks was mentioned and I actually started tearing up.

After group, I dropped Jess off at his friend's house so they could hash over a programming project. He suggested I leave the kids with him while I checked out Knitting Bee, which surprised me! He took Connor with him while he went to pick Erin up at school, which means I actually got to knit at knitting group. :) Not having at least Connor around is a rare occasion for me and twice in a day is almost unheard of.
When I arrived at the store, they were set to close in 15 minutes. I walked around inspecting everything and petting the yarn. It isn't often that I can go to yarn shops and get that real tactile experience with all the yarns available. I did notice that the sock yarn section was pretty lacking, unlike Twisted, but they do have quite a selection of other yarns packed into the store!! I didn't buy any but wow do I have plans... :)
We drove by the exit for Uwajimaya on our way home, and I couldn't help but think about the Japanese stitch books at the Kinokuniya in there. I flip through it everytime we are there. I love the clever lace stitch patterns and the three dimensional stitches.

Anyway, I'm working on a grilled goat-cheese spinach sandwich (really delicious and even though I can't eat cow dairy, goat is fine!). Now Connor is eyeing my sandwich, so I better set him up in the high chair. :)

1 comment:

PNWBookGirl said...

Sharon has a few of the Japanese stitch books. You could check with her about borrowing one or two.

Missed being there today! Sounds like it was fun!